Brandeis University is delighted to announce a career opportunity as Assistant Director in the Schusterman Center for Israel Studies. If you are looking for an opportunity to work on a beautiful suburban campus with lots of perks including free parking, look no further. At Brandeis, we offer a competitive benefits and compensation package which includes medical, dental and life insurance. We also offer generous paid time off. If you are looking to advance your career through educational opportunities, Brandeis offers tuition remission. Our 403b retirement savings plan includes a generous match.
Please upload a resume and a cover letter to be considered.
The primary goal of the Schusterman Center is to strengthen the scholarly field of Israel Studies, provide scholarly training for faculty, and provide resources for the teaching of Israel Studies to a range of cohorts.
The Assistant Director for the Schusterman Center for Israel Studies works under the direction of the Senior Associate Director of the Schusterman Center. The Assistant Director conceptualizes and develops management systems, sets office policies, and is responsible for the day-to-day operations, budget and finances of a large center. An important component is nurturing working relationships with affiliated staff, visiting faculty, scholars, and graduate students, as well as with donors, and other Brandeis departments. An ability to think critically to develop a long-term vision for Center operations is essential. A working knowledge of Hebrew and Israel Studies is helpful but not required.
- Develop and manage systems and processes to run and market all Center events, including Advanced Institute, annual conference, book launches, webinars, lecture series, and workshops. Collaborate with other academic groups on and off campus to organize joint programs. Direct development and maintenance of Center websites, social media, advertising, and promotional materials.
- Manage and oversee the work of three administrative staff, including a Marketing & Communications Specialist, a Senior Department Coordinator and Program Coordinator, as well as one to two student workers. Hire staff and support their work on a daily basis. Foster teamwork, organize and run weekly staff meetings, and conduct biannual performance evaluations.
- Responsible for all financial planning and operations for the Center, including preparing and managing complex budgets with numerous income types and spending streams. Prepare annual budget projections for Brandeis budget office and financial reports for University authorities and external grantors. Oversee day-to-day fiscal operations, including accounts payable and receivable functions, faculty research funds, and graduate student support.
- Play key role in planning and implementing annual Summer Institute for 20-24 faculty members from around the world who spend 10 days each at Brandeis and in Israel. Engage speakers and teaching faculty, hire Israeli ground service provider and coordinate Israel study tour. Oversee recruitment plan, program logistics, and all finances.
- Communicate with donors and oversee grant compliance in consultation with the director, senior associate director, and University Institutional Advancement team. Assist in designing an annual fundraising campaign, and in the solicitation and preparation of new grants.
- Must have exceptional organizational and creative problem solving skills.
- Requires 3 -5 years experience helping to run a large non-profit, creating and managing complex budgets and financial systems, organizing large events and working with prominent individuals such as donors and speakers.
- Must be able to manage several projects simultaneously and make on-the-spot decisions.
- Must have ability to supervise staff and foster teamwork in a fast-paced environment, while developing a long term vision for the operation of the organization.
- Requires exceptional written and oral communications skills, and attention to detail.
- Exceptional skills in Excel and ability to learn new technology quickly required.
- Education: B.A./B.S. required. M.A./M.S. preferred.