Passion. Purpose. Impact. CJP is at the heart of Greater Boston's Jewish community, but our reach is felt around the world. We bring together the resources, volunteers, leadership, and expertise to care for people in need, advocate for Israel, and ensure a vibrant Jewish future. Together, we're helping struggling families find financial stability, making Jewish learning relevant and inclusive, connecting the next generation to Jewish life, and so much more. Our greatest resource is our people — the staff, volunteers, partners and leaders who help make Greater Boston’s Jewish community a welcoming home. It’s this energy and commitment that drive CJP’s mission. We are one of Boston's oldest and most respected philanthropic organizations and we are currently seeking an Associate Vice President, Israel & Global Jewry.
Summary of Position:
The Associate Vice President, Israel and Global Jewry (AVP) oversees CJP’s prominent Israel and Global Jewry portfolio. The AVP is responsible for managing critical relationships with our largest international grantees in Israel and around the world (for example, the Joint Distribution Committee); for partnering closely with volunteers who support this work, particularly with the 30 plus year old CJP Boston-Haifa connection and our partnership with Dnep, Ukraine; and for recommending grants around the world that advance our organizational priorities of caring for the most vulnerable as well as enhancing broader and deeper Jewish engagement in Boston, Israel and around the world.
This passionate leader has a deep love of the Jewish homeland and for Jews of North America and around the world. This person is also excited to do this work in deliberate and impactful partnership with volunteers. The AVP is energized by the incredible history of this work at CJP and is well positioned to lead and support our Boston-Haifa connection volunteers, partners around the world, and strong staff at CJP in Boston and in Haifa. Our current priorities include fighting antisemitism and anti-Zionism, elevating the focus on the next generation, and an increased focus on shared society advances in Israel. Our primary tactics are immersive experiences, people to people relationships and innovating through partnerships.
In addition to much ongoing work to connect Jews around the world in people- to -people connections and care for the most vulnerable, the AVP will focus on:
- Israel engagement and education: The AVP works closely with local educational institutions in Boston and in Haifa to promote Jewish learning; in Boston, this learning focuses on Israel education and is likely delivered through key partners; in Haifa, this work is focused on adult Jewish education. The AVP will be charged with reimaging this work in light of increasing antisemitism and antizionism and may work closely with our Campus manager to ensure educational offerings for younger students are extended and made relevant to those on campus. In addition, this work will support the build out of Na’aleh, CJP’s reimagining of Jewish learning and Israel engagement leading up to Israel’s 75th birthday.
- Antisemitism and Anti-Zionism: the AVP will, in partnership with the SVP and CEO, lead CJP’s Task Force on Fighting Antisemitism and Antizionism. Responsibilities include executing against the goals of the task force, sharing CJP’s work in this space broadly through writing and speaking, and helping to foster a sense of public Jewish pride throughout Boston. This work is done in partnership with key organizations throughout Boston, and the AVP will work closely with these partners to build communal strategies and to recommend funds to support this work.
- Shared Society: For 30 years, the CJP Boston-Haifa connection has built incredible connections between volunteers in Boston and in Haifa. This professionally staffed work has always prioritized building a more just Israeli society for all. The AVP is responsible for working closely with the Director of the Boston Haifa connection, the Haifa CJP employees and key volunteers in Boston and in Israel to oversee all our investments in Haifa and throughout Israel, with a focus on re-energizing our shared society work to maximize our impact.
Importantly, all this work requires the AVP to work cross departmentally with Strategy and Impact colleagues to ensure priority cohorts such as young adults and families with young children are included.
- Responsible for overall vision and goals of Israel and Global Jewry at CJP, including budget, grants and programmatic activities
- Work collaboratively and cross-functionally with colleagues from across CJP to deliver against critical organizational goals as outlined in CJP’s operating plan and against our impact goals of broader and deeper engagement and caring for the most vulnerable.
- Recommend and manage over $10m of strategic grant making for Israel and globally each year; develop and implement KPIs to ensure that CJP is maximizing the long term return on its investment of community resources.
- Provide thoughtful leadership on Israel and global Jewish citizenship and inspire individuals to care about Israel and Global Jewry and understand why it plays a critical role in CJP’s vision for the community; Maintain a deep, up-to-date understanding of the content area, including a nuanced appreciation for complexities and an ability to hold multiple perspectives; curate high level content and help our community to navigate the complexity of Israeli history, society and politics.
- Work closely with the Director of Boston-Haifa (a direct report) and hundreds of committed volunteers in Boston and in Haifa; manage critical institutional partnerships/relationships, often internationally.
- Lead/Staff Volunteer Committees and Task Forces including the high profile antisemitism task force
- Consult/contribute on content/design of Israel missions and global travel programs
- Work cross-functionally to integrate Israel content across cohorts and functions, capacity and engagement, most especially across Strategy and Impact and Development
- Develop and execute communications/education plan for community around Israel and Global Jewry; work with CJP marketing team to develop outreach strategies to broaden community awareness of IGJC impact
- Manage a team to execute this work both in Boston and in Haifa
- Manage the overall budget and priorities for Israel and Global Jewry related grants and programmatic activities
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
- Master’s degree
- 7-10 years’ experience working on Israel and Global Jewry, including management experience and experience working in a cross functional organization
- Five plus years working with volunteers to demonstrated effect
- Five years’ experience communicating about Israel to a diverse audience
- Adept at working with public intellectuals, donors, and volunteers
- Experience translating technical knowledge into easily digestible information; social media skills a plus
- Highly skilled communicator with unparalleled interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated mastery and deep knowledge of Israel in the context of Judaism, Jewish history and global Jewry
- Proficient in Hebrew
- Ability to translate strategic vision into actionable strategies
- Strong intercultural skills
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at one time
- Comfort with all aspects of budget management
- Self-starter, creative pathfinder, able to navigate ambiguity and complexity
- Flexible team player, who can both take and provide direction
- Availability for evening and/or weekend events/meetings
- Requires local, national and international travel
CJP offers that rare opportunity to tap your skills, talents, and experience to benefit a greater good while you grow professionally. You will work in a dynamic environment, with a diverse group of individuals who share your commitment and enthusiasm. Together, you will make a difference for Jews and non-Jews in Greater Boston and worldwide. We offer competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits and a collegial, family-friendly work and team environment.
For more information about CJP, go to www.cjp.org.
Please use this link to apply: https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6178095.careers?ShowJob=403063630
CJP conducts background checks as part of the hiring process.
CJP is an equal opportunity employer.People with disabilities, women, veterans, black, indigenous and people of color, and LGBTQ people are encouraged to apply. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.