Friends of the Arava Institute
Communications & Development Manager Job Posting
This is a full-time exempt position reporting to the Chief Development Officer.
The mission of Friends of the Arava Institute (FAI) is to support the critical work of the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies (AIES) through public awareness, student recruitment, and fundraising campaigns. Located in Israel, the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies is a leading environmental studies and research institute housing accredited academic programs, research centers, and international cooperation initiatives focusing on the region’s environmental concerns and challenges. With a student body comprised of Jordanians, Palestinians, Israelis, and internationals, AIES offers students an exceptional opportunity to learn from leading professionals while forming friendships and developing skills that enable them to lead the region and the world in solving today’s most pressing environmental challenges. Friends of the Arava Institute is located in Newton Centre, MA and supports efforts throughout North America.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Communications and Development Manager (CDM) is responsible for creating and implementing the print and digital communications strategy for the organization. The CDM will also create the fundraising appeal calendar, content for both print and electronic appeals, accompanying donor correspondences, and assist in creating and implementing virtual and live events and travel. The Communications and Development Manager will work with the Chief Development Officer and CEO, AIES communications staff, and others as appropriate. Excellent writing and analytical skills are essential. Candidates must be selfmotivated, detail oriented, and highly organized. Preference for candidates available to work in the office a minimum of 2 days per week.
Communications and Marketing
• Create electronic and print communications to promote the organization’s message using emails, e-newsletters, social media, blogs, FAI and AIES’ websites, print, and other communication vehicles.
• Expand and deepen FAI’s and AIES’ social media presence.
Event Planning & Management
• Work with colleagues locally and in Israel to create and conduct periodic virtual or live events including speakers, annual meeting, annual North American alumni conference, alumni visits, and development activities.
• Work with colleagues locally and in Israel to plan and implement trips and tours such as the Israel Ride (annual bike ride), and Beyond Borders tour (biannual donor study tour).
• Responsibilities include event recruitment, marketing, tracking attendance, and ensuring that online events run smoothly
• Develop and implement the annual campaign calendar
• Draft donor correspondence and create print and electronic fundraising campaigns
• Support the development committee.
● Minimum three to five years of relevant professional experience
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Canva, Adobe InDesign, Mailchimp, Wordpress
● Proficiency with social media campaigns (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
● Works well under time pressure
● Meticulous writer
● Excellent collaborator
● Comfort working with remote colleagues
● Able to work in the FAI office at least two days per week
The Ideal Candidate
● Strong personal commitment to the vision and mission of the organization
● Sensitivity to differences when working with people from other countries and cultures
● Willing to assume a high level of responsibility and take initiative
● Able to work independently and without significant direction
● Enjoys working with a small team in a fast-paced environment
● Strong sense of personal accountability and follow-through on assignments
● Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
● Experience working with US-based organizations operating in the Middle East a plus
● Able to travel within the US and to Israel
Compensation is $50,000-$60,000 commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send your resume along with a cover letter and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Friends of the Arava Institute offers a supportive, collaborate, and friendly work environment. The organization also offers professional development opportunities as well as comprehensive benefits including health/dental insurance and retirement saving options. This is a wonderful opportunity to develop your skills and talents while working to promote peace and environmental justice in the Middle East.
Qualifications: 3-5 years of experience.