JOB TITLE: New Business Development & External Relations Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
B’nai B’rith Housing (BBH) is a regional nonprofit affordable housing developer whose mission is to ease the housing crisis in the Greater Boston area. We work with cities and towns to produce high-quality housing that responds to the needs of the community and creates homes for people otherwise left behind by the current market. Our housing, both rental and home ownership, is for families and older adults, regardless of religion or background and we are proud that more than a dozen ethnicities and immigrant communities are represented in the housing we have created. We believe that affordable housing is about strengthening neighborhoods, supporting economic growth, creating thriving cities, and giving every individual the opportunity to share in our area’s economic prosperity. Our work, though non-sectarian, is grounded in the Jewish tradition of tikkun olam (repairing the world) and chesed (love and kindness between people) and these values guide our work every day.
BBH’s New Business Development & External Relations Manager’s mission is to seek out potential affordable housing development opportunities across Greater Boston and build the political and community relationships to help make those projects a reality. The “New Business” Manager works as part of a larger team of housing development and project management experts. Our ideal candidate is strategic, entrepreneurial and politically savvy with a demonstrated track record conducting campaigns and delivering on outcomes.
1. Seek out, identify and help secure new sites for affordable housing development.
o Develop and sustain strategic relationships in communities where BBH seeks to develop affordable housing, and in communities where projects are currently underway.
o Identify potential sites, and partner with BBH development team to assess appropriateness. Acquire skills and knowledge needed to conduct basic assessment of sites.
o Map stakeholders on affordable housing in key communities, both allies and opponents.
o Identify local priorities and concerns about potential affordable housing developments and seeking opportunities for alignment of interests.
o Mobilize turn-out for hearings or other public meetings.
2. Manage communications to build organizational brand with key stakeholders and support current and future development projects. Work with Office Manager to deliver efficient organizational communications.
o Produce bimonthly newsletter, with support of Office Manager. Gather relevant BBH stories, photos and video clips from residents, community members, political and business leaders and other BBH supporters.
o Develop new website content and periodically update website with support of Office Manager
o Manage social media and build following among political leaders and other key stakeholders, with support of Office Manager
o Organize community gatherings and other events (house parties, groundbreakings, business partner cultivation events, etc.) to expand the BBH network and support development strategy, with support of Office Manager
3. Manage and grow our Gen2Gen emerging leaders’ program
• Build and sustain a cohort of 15-20 Gen2Gen emerging leaders, with in-person networking opportunities (when possible), and a core leadership group overseeing programming.
• Organize quarterly NextGen thought leadership programs online to foster dialogue within local communities about topical, strategic questions related to affordable housing.
• Proven entrepreneurial skills, such as track record in conducting campaigns, developing new business opportunities or other similar outcome-driven experience. Experience in the affordable housing sector a major plus.
• Proven relationship-building skills. Politically skilled and strategic in assessing power dynamics.
On-the-ground experience with community outreach and engagement.
• Experience delivering communications plans, using multiple platforms including social media, website (Wordpress or similar), newsletter (Constant Contact or similar), Salesforce. or other CRM database.
• Ability to work independently, manage multiple priorities and solve problems expeditiously.
• Ability to work in a team and to contribute actively and appropriately.
• Excellent employment references.
• A valid driver’s license and have access to an automobile and/or public transportation for offsite work-related meetings.
• This position requires some evening and weekend hours.
• Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment. Reasonable accommodations may be considered in accordance with the law.
OUR HIRING PROCESS & TIMELINE
• Send your resume with a cover letter telling us what you find interesting or challenging about this position. Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed. Send materials to: email@example.com.
• We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
• Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
• Full-time, exempt position. We believe in work-life balance, and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
• 21 days of PTO, 10 paid holidays, and a family-friendly schedule
• Competitive benefit package.
• B’nai B’rith Housing does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are an organization that is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
This is an exciting time for growth at BBH – we need your energy and enthusiasm. If you are looking for a job that you can be excited about and want to work for a place that is creating real, positive change here in Massachusetts, apply today!
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree Required and 3-5 years of experience.