*Priority to Applications by June 30th*
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Nehar Shalom Community Synagogue is a small, intimate synagogue in the richly diverse, vibrant and socially conscious neighborhood of Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts that has been in existence for 16 years. We are an inclusive, intergenerational community, welcoming to all. We are guided by a uniquely creative tension between traditional Jewish practice and progressive social and political values. Our core community consists of 110 member households but many more walk through our doors on a regular basis.
Our community is coming into its second year of a major leadership transition and is in the process of figuring out what we look like as a result of COVID. We are seeking a part-time Operational Assistant to work 10-15 hours a week with clergy and lay leadership to support the vision and operations of daily synagogue life. This person will work closely with the Rabbi and report to Board Officers. This position will be partially remote, partially in our office in Jamaica Plain. Primary responsibilities will include daily financial tracking of expense and revenue transactions, managing weekly communications, and maintaining the synagogue’s website and online systems. This role is ideal for someone who is highly communicative and enjoys creating systems of organization and efficiency.
Primary responsibilities will include:
• Provide administrative support to clergy, board members, and community volunteers
• Interface with vendors and community partners as needed
• Manage and respond to voicemails and email inquiries
• Check synagogue PO Box and respond to any necessary mail inquiries
• Coordinate yearly mailings including annual appeals, membership renewals, and tax receipts
• Maintain membership directories, organize, coordinate, and follow up with membership renewals
• Manage program registration
• Assist with any copying, filing, ordering and organizing of supplies
• Manage all of Nehar Shalom’s online accounts including GSuites, Quickbooks, Mailchimp, Zoom, etc.
• Manage Nehar Shalom’s phone and internet accounts
• Assist in managing Nehar Shalom’s office and program spaces and take lead on any scheduling or logistical matters
• Assist in providing support with events and holidays, including coordinating any technology preparations or vendor orders; with potential for more hours during the fall Jewish holiday season
• Maintain Nehar Shalom’s systems and assist in continuous innovation and improvement as community needs shift and grow
• Maintain, update, and troubleshoot Nehar Shalom’s website and online calendar
• Assist in managing weekly communications via newsletter
• Manage Nehar Shalom’s Facebook page, creating and scheduling events and posts when appropriate
• Create ads and posts for event and holidays when appropriate with local online publications
• Interface with and support Board Treasurer in the synagogue’s financial management
• Interface with and support bookkeeper as needed
• Track and allocate all online donations and membership dues
• Send donor acknowledgements, prepare year end donor receipts
• Track and allocate expenses
• You share our vision for creating a welcoming, inclusive community that values each of its members and is committed to Jewish tradition and social justice.
• You have strong interpersonal skills, a warm demeanor, a sense of humor, empathy and patience.
• You are comfortable working independently and remotely, and can thrive in a changing environment.
• You have strong written communication skills and are proficient with Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, Google suite
• Tech savvy and willing to learn how to manage our website management (Wix) and social media
Benefits of the position:
• $28-30 hourly rate
• Flexible schedule and opportunity to work remotely
• The opportunity to help sustain a vibrant community
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Qualifications: 0-2 years of experience.