This posting is for the 2022-2023 school year.
Gateways’ Professional Development Coaches work part-time to provide expertise on integrating
best-practice strategies into Jewish educational settings that serve children with diverse learning
needs and disabilities. Gateways’ team of coaches each work with Boston-area
congregational/community supplementary schools to provide customized support and guidance. A
Gateways Professional Development Coach’s role may include one or more components of the
This is available for a director, inclusion specialist, or a teacher who has been identified as being the
lead teacher for inclusion support. Monthly coaching sessions will be conducted remotely and are
intended to help the participants as they support other staff in creating inclusive learning
environments and changing school culture.
Observation and Consultations
These consultations will take place on site and might involve support for a teacher and/or a
classroom or for an individual child or family. Schools purchase a package of three on-site visits
from Gateways with written follow-up, scheduled with the director or inclusion specialist as needed.
Professional Development Training for Religious School Staff
There is the potential for experienced professionals to develop and/or present staff trainings both in
person and via zoom.
Lead a Monthly Community of Practice (CoP)
The CoP is for religious school directors and/or learning specialists with the goal being to engage in
critical discussions related to inclusion and accessibility of supplemental Jewish education.
Hours for this position are flexible, with much of the work taking place in the late afternoons and/or
Sundays. Time commitment will vary depending on the time of year and needs of the clients.
The position reports to the Director of Professional Development and Consultation. Gateways will
provide training about expectations and coaching/training strategies in advance of assignments to
individual schools or synagogues. Gateways offers a competitive salary and the opportunity to work
with a corps of peer coaches and a variety of dedicated professionals.
In addition to completing the tasks needed to successfully coach and or offer consultations, Gateways Professional Development Coaches have the following expectations:
• Respond timely to emails and phone calls with the Director of Professional Development and Consultation.
• Be responsive and communicate efficiently with Religious School Directors.
• Input notes and other relevant information from coaching and peer reflection sessions into Gateways’ online document management system
2. Improve and coordinate one’s own practice
• Attend the Gateways Coaches Community of Practice (3-6 sessions/year)
• Participate in appropriate staff orientation(s), and periodic brief check-ins with supervisor and other meetings as needed, in addition to the Coaches Community of Practice
• BA/BS in special education or related field; higher degree preferred
• Experience in Jewish education or other education, especially with children with identified learning challenges and/ or disabilities
• Knowledge of Jewish holidays, customs, and traditions; ability to read Hebrew preferred but not required
Candidates hoping to also provide staff trainings should have:
• 5+ years’ experience teaching/coaching adults, both in small-group settings and in larger forums; preference given to those with experience with delivering coaching through online media
• Experience in the development of curricula or workshops aimed at adults
About the Organization/How to Apply
Gateways provides high quality special education services, expertise, and support to enable students with diverse learning needs to succeed in Jewish educational settings and participate meaningfully in Jewish life. For more information visit our web site at www.jgateways.org.
Cover letters and resumes will be accepted only through our online system at http://tinyurl.com/gatewaysjobs. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree Required and 3-5 years of experience.