Do you want to make a difference? Are you upbeat, decisive, and responsible? Do you enjoy working with children and the outdoors? This is an excellent chance for someone who is well-organized and possesses strong leadership qualities! We are searching for energetic, attentive camp counselors to guide, assist, and motivate campers while they enjoy everything Camp Grossman has to offer. Camp Grossman, a day camp located in Dover, MA, offers free camp bus service from over 20 communities in the Greater Boston area, making it possible for staff to receive transportation from their home communities! If you live in the Greater Boston area, or have a place to stay in the area for the season, we would like to hear from you!
JCC Greater Boston is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. We welcome staff and participants from diverse backgrounds. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs or background. We are guided by JCC Greater Boston core values – Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration, and Transformation, which resonate with many who do not identify as Jewish.
The team is a dynamic group which works to create a wonderful experience for children while assisting them in building confidence and skills. Our alumni can tell you: Camp Grossman summers are an amazingly enjoyable way to spend your summers while developing great skills; such as communication, leadership, time management, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Valued skills that will serve you well in future jobs.
Camp Grossman is located on 75 acres of the Hale Reservation in Dover. Camp Grossman welcomes over 1500 campers and over 300 staff each summer. The camp day runs from 8:15 AM - 4:15 PM, Monday through Friday. Orientation happens the week of June 19th and there are 3 staff meetings on various Monday evenings throughout the summer. Most counselors and staff also work 1 or 2 additional family nights or overnights, depending on their position in camp. The regular camp season ends on August 18th.
This position will pay in the range of $ 5168 for the season as a starting salary. The salary offered will ultimately be determined by the hours employees will work, scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
· Responsible for caring for assigned campers – leading group activities, supporting the group at all activities (sports, drama, climbing wall…) managing both group and individual needs. Overseeing campers during both structured and unstructured time
· Ensuring the safety and well-being of campers
· Mentoring junior counselors and counselors-in-training
· Creating a fun/joyful dynamic
· Working in partnership with peers and Camp Leadership to provide a happy, safe and memorable summer for the children
· Discussing camper involvement and concerns about campers with camp leadership and/or parents
· Must have completed 10th grade (or equivalent) and be at least 15 years of age
· Models' maturity, reliability, flexibility and patience
· Experience with young children
· Leadership skills
· A love of children and a strong desire to make a difference every day
· Models approach which is positive, proactive, and kind while concentrating on providing children with a pleasant and safe camp experience.
· Strong organizational skills including teamwork, relationship building skills, the ability to multitask, the ability to manage situations effectively and diplomatically
· Ability and commitment to build strong relationships with campers, co-workers, and camp leadership
In addition to a rewarding position where you care for a community, the JCC Greater Boston provides competitive benefits including:
· A competitive salary
· Parents may have their child attend camp free of charge for the weeks the parent is working (if space is available)
· Outstanding working environment including convenient, free parking
· Summer access to the JCC indoor facility (gym, basketball court, indoor pool)
JCC Greater Boston is a nonprofit organization with roots in earlier Settlement Houses and Young Men’s Hebrew Associations; JCC Greater Boston today offers a wide range of services and program activities throughout the Greater Boston region (~50,000 individuals annually in 98 communities). The organization provides a variety of programs and services to children and adults in the Greater Boston Jewish community including: four Preschools, three-day camps, a regional model of Jewish family engagement, a fully equipped fitness and aquatic center, arts and culture classes, performances, lectures, and Jewish holiday celebrations.
Our vision is to create a vibrant and evolving Jewish community where everyone belongs. Our mission is to be at the heart of that community by:
· Creating a thriving community that nurtures meaningful and lasting relationships
· Welcoming a growing and increasingly diverse set of individuals and families from all over Greater Boston
· Supporting the building of unique identities rooted in Jewish values and deeper connections to Jewish life
· Nourishing minds, bodies and spirits through dynamic, innovative and accessible experiences, and
· Expanding engagement by partnering closely with other organizations to ensure the continuing vitality of our community as a whole.
JCC Greater Boston takes the welfare and safety of staff, children and program participants very seriously. On an ongoing basis, we align our operating procedures with guidance from the CDC and the state. In response to current local public health situations, our practices have previously included, and in the future may include, ensuring proper physical distancing, sanitation, hygiene, vaccination requirements and use of face coverings to promote the health of our staff and program participants.
JCC Greater Boston welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds who meet the requirements specified above. If you want to share your talents with a great team, co-creating a thriving, dynamic organization which is devoted to community building and lasting impact, please send a cover letter and your resume to Campemail@example.com or use the Camp Grossman application which can be found at https://bostonjcc.campintouch.com/ui/forms/application/staff/App
Qualifications: 0-2 years of experience.