Purpose of grant
Preschool is one of the most important feeders for kindergarten. To grow and sustain stable enrollment, Jewish day schools need preschools to retain their families. Admissions professionals are poised to deepen their relationships throughout the community in order to engage families with their schools.
Over the last six years, the “Engage” program (known as the Day School Engagement and Enrollment (DSEE) initiative in its first five years and re-branded Engage in 2021) has enabled more than 50 Jewish day schools to position themselves as hubs of Jewish engagement for families with young children. Engage schools have attracted more than 100 new students from families previously unknown to them and over 300 new students from families with a former connection.
In 2022-2023 six Greater Boston Jewish Day Schools took part in this program. To build on the success of this cohort CJP is pleased to partner with Prizmah, PJ Library, and the Harold Grinspoon Foundation to offer a program called “Engage Plus.” This program will build on the skillset acquired in the Engage program as well as strengthen participating day school relationships with PJ Library.
- Applicants must be admissions professionals from Jewish day schools within CJP’s catchment area and PJ Library partners.
- Applicants must have previously taken part in the Engage program.
- There is no cost to participants.
- In consultation with the PJ Library partner, day school admissions professional applies
Grant benefits and requirements
- Admission professionals and PJ Library partners expand their relationship throughout the community with many organizations, such as other Jewish schools, Jewish family service organizations, Jewish community centers, synagogues, and camps
- Over the course of the year, at four virtual meetings, the cohort strengthens their skills in areas critical for engagement: relationship building, stewardship, market segmentation, use of data, and more.
- In addition to required meetings there are 12 optional engage meetups with other participating schools.
- Cohort members support each other through an active community of practice
- Schools will submit data through Data and Analysis for School Leadership (DASL) and receive customized reports with a focus on recruitment and retention
- Admissions professionals receive specialized training on how to mobilize ambassadors from their school in engagement activities
- Admissions professional and PJ Library partner are required to plan a minimum of four engagement activities or initiatives over the course of the school year
- Participating day schools receive grants of $1,500 to support engagement activities or initiatives
- PJ Library partners receive $250 toward their involvement
- Post-grant evaluation must be completed
- Applications close: Wednesday, June 14, 2023
- First session begins: September 2023
- Final session begins: Spring 2024