30 hours/week (20-hour option negotiable), permanent position
Required hours: Monday-Thursday 3-6pm beginning Sept 2022, occasional evenings and weekends, other hours flexible
Start Date: May 2, 2022 (flexible)
Location: Toronto, ON
Makom: Creative Downtown Judaism is an inclusive community fusing Jewish tradition and progressive values through spirituality, learning and culture. Makom inspires diverse participants to explore together how Judaism can meaningfully enrich our lives.
Makom Afterschool provides high-quality, pluralistic Jewish and Hebrew-language education in three neighbourhood public schools to students in Junior Kindergarten through Grade 5. Children from the diversity of downtown Jewish families find their place in our warm and welcoming community.
In Makom ATID, Jewish pre-teens and teens discover the wisdom Judaism holds for their maturing minds and bodies in today’s world. Students in Grades 6-8 gather twice a week for nuanced, pluralistic Jewish learning; Hebrew conversation and literacy; and hanging out with their peers.
The Director of Youth Education and Programming will advance Makom’s mission of connecting diverse downtown Jewish children, teens, and families with high-quality Jewish education, meaningful Jewish experiences, and vibrant Jewish community. Reporting to Makom’s Rabbi and working closely with him and the Managing Director, the Director of Education and Family Programming will strengthen Hebrew and Jewish learning, grow Makom Afterschool’s and Makom ATID’s student bodies, and expand the reach and deepen the impact of Makom Families and Downtown Jewish Teens programming.
As the Director of Youth Education, the successful candidate will:
• Oversee all pedagogic aspects of Makom Afterschool and Makom ATID;
• Formulate strategic plans to implement the visions for Makom Afterschool and Makom ATID in collaboration with lay leaders and the Rabbi;
• Form positive relationships with students and parents and help them connect with Jewish life and Makom;
• Recruit and retain students and families in Makom Afterschool and Makom ATID;
• Hire, support, and supervise teachers, teaching assistants, and specialists (e.g., review lesson plans, observe classes, provide guidance, and conduct regular staff meetings);
• Supervise the curriculum writer;
• Select curricular materials (e.g., workbooks);
• Communicate with current and prospective students’ parents;
• Plan field trips and special activities;
• Design and oversee implementation of student learning assessments;
• Evaluate programs;
• Meet with lay leaders on Makom Afterschool/ATID Leadership Council; and
• Liaise with host-schools’ principals;
Additionally, as the Director of Youth Programming, the successful candidate will:
• Form warm relationships with families and teens and help them connect with Jewish life and Makom;
• Develop and run monthly programming for Makom Families and for Downtown Jewish Teens;
• Plan and lead Family Services for Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and occasional Shabbatot;
• Recruit participants; and
• Maintain and expand existing community partnerships.
• Passion for Jewish learning, Hebrew language, and helping diverse Jews of all ages connect with Judaism and Jewish community
• Creativity and enthusiasm to try new approaches
• Excellent relational skills – ability to form collaborative bonds and communicate well with parents, teachers, TDSB principals and teachers, families, teens, lay leaders, and Makom staff members
• Strong leadership skills and experience running educational programming
• Experience hiring, managing, and supervising teaching staff
• Ability to foster a pluralistic approach to Jewish education for diverse students, teens, and families
• Success in student recruitment and retention
• Strong professional skills – ability to work quickly, independently, and with accountability
• Attention to detail and ability to produce high-quality written and media materials
• BA in Education, Jewish Studies, or related field/experience; Master’s degree preferred
• Two or more years of teaching experience
• Fluency in English; strong knowledge of Hebrew and Judaism
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
$45,000-$52,500 (equivalent to $60,000-$70,000 full-time employment) commensurate with experience.
Benefits package includes professional development opportunities; extended health insurance; life insurance; disability; and paid vacation days, sick days, and statutory holidays.
Please send your resume and cover letter to adina@makomTO.org
Application deadline: March 6, 2022
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + Advanced Degree Preferred and 3-5 years of experience.