The Rashi School, the Boston area’s Reform Jewish independent school serving students in grades K–8, seeks a full-time Registered Nurse for the 2021-2022 school year. Under the supervision of the Assistant Head of School, the School Nurse is responsible for the operation of the School Health Center.
● Assess and provide first aid care to ill and injured students, faculty, and staff.
● Assist individuals with specialized health care needs.
● Perform duties as related to pandemic management including but not limited to performing on-site testing for staff and students as needed, conducting contact tracing in the school community, updating health protocols to reflect most recent guidance from MDPH and DESE, communicating positive cases to MDPH and local board of health, educating students, staff and families about risk mitigation.
● Maintain confidentiality, document and notify parents/ guardians, and/or Emergency Medical Services (EMS) as necessary.
● Remain with and give comfort to ill or injured students until released to the parent/guardian.
● Observe and report any unusual behavioral finding or unsafe student activity to school administrators.
● Communicate student health concerns, allergies and activity restrictions to teachers on as needed basis, with parent consent.
● Assume the responsibilities of a Massachusetts Mandated Reporter.
● Assist in administration of medications according to physician and parent instructions. Communicate with physicians and parents to obtain authorization forms. Notify parents of prescription refills as needed. Maintain appropriate documentation and communication.
● Maintain a clean, orderly and safe health office. Dispose of biomedical waste and hazards according to established procedures. Maintain inventory of heath and first aid supplies within budget. Manage medications in locked cabinets.
● Prepare and restock first aid kits for classrooms and field trips as assigned. Maintain confidential student health records and accident reports including treatment records/logs, emergency information, immunization records, disability, and allergy information, and hearing/vision screening results.
● Receive and review new student health files.
● Update medical and allergy section of Family Handbook and Guide to Teaching annually per MDPH and DESE guidelines.
● Assure students have updated immunization records. Prepare letters or exclusion notices and notify parents and Assistant Head of School as appropriate.
● Screen for vision, hearing impairments and BMI per state guidelines. Designate those students who perform unsatisfactorily on the screening examinations to be re-examined by appropriate sources.
● Maintain professional standing through required continuing education.
● Participate in faculty meetings as required.
● Perform related duties as assigned.
● Degree from an accredited nursing program.
● Current valid MA State License as a Registered Nurse.
● Minimum of one year of medical/clinical experience as a Registered Nurse.
● Knowledge of state and federal health and safety regulations.
● Current CPR/AED/ First Aid Certificate issued by an authorized agency and renewed as necessary.
● Prior experience in school or camp serving students in Grades K-8 is strongly preferred
● Able to speak and hear to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
● Able to visually assess student injuries and illnesses.
● Use of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and medical equipment, perform first aid and CPR.
● Able to sit, stand, bend, and walk for extended periods.
● Able to push/pull a wheelchair.
● Able to lift 50 lbs (able to lift a middle-school aged child).
● Potential for contact with blood and other body fluids, blood-borne pathogens, and communicable diseases.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree Required and 3-5 years of experience.