About Temple Emanu-El:
Temple Emanu-El of Marblehead seeks a full time Temple Educator to serve our 550+ families, beginning July 1, 2019. Located on the North Shore of Massachusetts, we are a vibrant and inclusive Reform Congregation that offers progressive ways to explore a wide variety of Jewish traditions. Our Temple's mission is to welcome all who desire a religious connection, empowering members of all ages to learn, worship and celebrate together. We strive to support and comfort those in need and to affirm our bond with Jews here and around the world, inspiring all congregants to work towards social justice and holiness.
● Oversee the administration and management of the entire religious school (pre-K-12, currently 170 students), youth, early childhood and adult education programs including the registration process, progress reports, email lists and the educational and youth components of the Temple’s web site.
● Prepare and manage annual school and youth programming budget in coordination with the School, Youth and Finance Committees.
● Hire, train and supervise/evaluate school faculty, staff, youth group advisors and Madrichim after consultation with the appropriate committee chair.
● Maintain and develop curriculum to meet the needs of the Temple community.
● Coordinate and manage all communication amongst professional staff, administrative staff, teaching faculty and parents.
● Coordinate, manage and tutor the B’nai Mitzvah Program in conjunction with the Rabbi and Executive Director, including hiring and supervision of additional B’nai Mitzvah tutors, and attending such life-cycle event services.
Supervision and Coordination:
● Create, conduct and support orientation programs, training seminars, programming meetings and professional growth opportunities for all members of the faculty.
● Provide leadership and supervision for the faculty, Madrachim, SMARTY Youth Advisors and B’nai Mitzvah tutors.
● Coordinate all education related activities with the Rabbi and Executive Director.
● Maintain communication with the parents about the goals, activities and issues of their children and the school.
● Provide pre-arranged coverage for Rabbi when requested for life-cycle events, worship and community events.
Work with the community:
● Collaborate with the Rabbi and lay leadership to develop and implement an integrated program of formal and informal-based learning opportunities for the entire congregation.
● Partner with the School, Youth, Early Childhood, Library and Adult Education Committees to achieve the educational goals of the congregation.
● Coordinate and run monthly Family Services.
● Participate in professional organizations and communal initiatives (Educator’s Forum, ARJE, CAJE, etc)
● Bachelor’s Degree in Education or Jewish Studies or a related field.
● Master’s degree in Jewish education preferred.
● Knowledge, comfort and experience in Reform Jewish Education including Hebrew expertise, familiarity with Jewish history, holidays and texts.
● Minimum of three years teaching experience in a Jewish setting.
● Previous religious school administrative experience.
● Administrative and financial management skills sufficient to the successful operation of a Religious School.
● Effective written and oral communication skills with ability to foresee/analyze educational/administrative challenges and to develop solutions.
● Ability to lead core Tefillot.
About the Marblehead/Swampscott area:
Located 18 miles north of Boston on the North Shore of Massachusetts, Marblehead is a small, coastal town where about 1% of the approximate 20,000 population identifies as being Jewish. Marblehead and neighboring communities support not only one Reform synagogue, but also two conservative synagogues, a Chabad center, a Jewish Community Center, and a Jewish day school. Jewish life is alive and flourishing here on the north shore.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + Advanced Degree Preferred and 3-5 years of experience.